[DeTomaso] Lessons from Gary Hall

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 14:36:30 EDT 2009

All the testimonials regarding the Gary Hall experience got me thinking.
I've got my own Hall story, like many, when he stayed on the phone for
roughly 2 hours and helped me change my clutch slave cylinder back in the
90's (not knowing me from Adam), but it is just one more example of how
helpful he was to his customers.

I drew two conclusions from the e-mails sent today.

One is something that any business owner, boss, flunky, or just plain human
being could take a cue from. If you take care of your customers, they'll
take care of you. There are numerous stories of him spending
disproportionate amounts of time with people that weren't necessarily "good
customers", but were just Pantera people. Or potential Pantera people. He
built one of the largest Pantera vendor shops with the philosophy that if he
treated each person as if they were a potential customer, then one day when
they WERE a customer, they'd go back to him. His success shows that the
concept worked. Take care of the people and treat them right and the
business will take care of itself.

The other thing that struck me is that I imagine that Gary is up in the big
garage in the sky behind the wheel of an angelic Purple Passion, and the
testimony found on this forum must make him smile.  I can think of no
greater tribute than to hear of all the positive experiences people have
had, and the respect that he has earned during his time on this planet. I'd
much rather have people saying such things than have them say "Well, he sure
worked a lot", or "he was tough", or "well he won't exactly be missed." Not
just due to the ramifications of the current economic crisis, I wonder what
people will say about many business leaders of today when they are no longer
among us..

Charles McCall

1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375

"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"

 <http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=2323>