[DeTomaso] ABS Calipers vs. NON-ABS Calipers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 02:42:38 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 6:09:42 PM, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> I was thinking that when Jack referred to Euro cars, that he meant they
> were making different versions of the Pantera (like US smog motor cars,
> possibly with different brakes that had stainless pistons??)

Sorry for the confusion. When I said that I was thinking of the cars I'd
tested at autocrosees and at Laguna Seca with a little magnet (stainless is
non-magnetic but plated iron is magnetic). I found Pantera Girlings (both std
4-piston and 3-piston GR-3 & GT-5), the Mangusta, a 289 and 427 Cobra, a
Maserati Merak and several Porsches, all had magnetic pistons. Judy's U.S-made
'74 Pinto station wagon had stainless steel....
You won't know why you've got a leak until you tear it down. Of all 10
pistons in our OEM Pantera calipers, NONE were pitted. But on a pair of aluminum
911-S two-piston calipers, one of the 4 were pitted. Cheers- J Deryke