[DeTomaso] Elephant ears

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 18:21:33 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 11:17:03 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Who sells elephant ear scoops for the rear quarter windows? Are they all
> the same or are some bigger than others? I'm looking for some that don't
> stick out too far. And yes, I know that they need to stick out to get the
> "ram air" effect, but I'm more concerned about the access to cool air.

There's more to it than that. The Swedes did flow tests a while ago that
showed the flow is OUTWARD thru the side openings until rather high speeds.
And thats a good thing 'cause no one that sells the ears tells you to drill
and metal-screw the chrome window frames to the body. Mad Dog ran them for
some time before he worked his way up to about 150 mph- and the whole window
frame ripped out of the car at a Silver State event. He never did find it...
So yes- if you get moving along smartly, they do scoop air. But at reasonable
speeds, the rush of air from under the car outward thru the rear window
opening will cause air to go out the scoops, not in, so any cooling gain will
be iffy. As sealed units with hoses to a carb top, I'm not sure what will
happen to the carb mixture.
Your choices are small 'side scoops', large 'elephant-ears' and smooth
'gridded covers' that include a gas flap ('73-up), all of fiberglas. All the
vendors sell them. On street cars, all are purely decorative but if the window
glass underneath is removed (and not all are!) the glass is 6 lbs off the
car weight. Good luck- J DeRyke