[DeTomaso] 12 cylinder Pantera

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Tue Jun 16 06:39:52 EDT 2009

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Well, I think we can put very many engine in the car. Front accessories
could be altered and pulleys shortened and so on. And I don’t think
some bulkhead in to the coupe is to big a problem. Wide oilpans? Well,
I don’t like the old frame rails anyway, so why not cut it out prior to
something that suits the new engine mounts and a good diffuser? Creating

a modern car rear end. Then we are really coming up with a great concept
not just another number of cylinders.

I don’t think it is wise to underestimate or trying to find an easy way
out for this sort of work. It is too many "unsafe" parameters involved.
Whatever we think we have twice the work and cost on our hands. So we
better put our minds in to the "all out building and planning" gear,
armed with a fair amount of time and money.

My opinion only.
Goran

A fourth option is to look into the VW/Audi/Bentley W12 engines. This
engine is actually shorter than a Cleveland, 57cm IIRC. Looking at the
oilpan it appears very wide though, so I'm not sure it could be dropped
in between the rails. It is a dry-sump motor, so perhaps this can be
fixed.

I have been very interested in a W12 swap, but it will not be a trivial
operation.

Cheers,
Thomas

> If you want a modern V8 you have to look at BMW, Audi, Merc, Porsche,
and the newest Ford have to offer ( Chevy ( Good forbid) is no option in
my eyes)

> An if you search it's possible to find even more engines with specs
that will " play at 500 +++ hp"