[DeTomaso] Busted Big, but Reno anyway? - Oil & ZDDP

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Fri Jun 12 13:08:52 EDT 2009

I'd like to chime in here as well concerning premature failure.  The
last 351C I had in the Mach I is presenting in my garage waiting for
the forensic analysis.  This engine ran great for many years.
However, being ignorant of engine oil technology, I simply purchased
the -latest- and most -current- API specification, mistakenly
believing it -had- to be better formulated and thus even better for my
engine.  I seriously believe this is what led to the eventual engine
failure, simple lack of proper protection.

I found the whole ZDDP conversation interesting and engaging.  So much
so that I went out and did my own research and ended up switching back
to Amsoil (my personal favorite, you may like something different).

A funny thing about our 1995 Saturn SL2 (may it rest in pieces).  We
continued to have the oil changed by the dealer way past warranty.
When the transmission started going out, we found the trade-in value
for the car was $300, and the trans was more like $600.  We stopped
taking it to the dealer for the oil changes and I started changing the
oil myself (I figured we run the course with the dealer perks and it
would cost us less).  The engine didn't last past -one- oil change
before a rod started knocking.  I don't know what the dealer used, but
I'm pretty convinced it was that last oil change -I- did with
off-the-shelf synthetic from Napa (nothing against Napa).

In short, I'm a convert, and I think we need to keep aware of all ways
in which we can get good high ZDDP oils.

Asa Jay