[DeTomaso] Busted Big, but Reno anyway? - Oil & ZDDP

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 13:04:18 EDT 2009

-- lets see if the formatting is any better this time --

Well, I never worried much about my motor oil
before I spun a rod bearing 2  years ago.
think that was before we knew much
about ZDDP missing from  our oil.  I have always
preferred single weight oils
(such as  30wt) for their better quality
base product molecules.

Anyway, upon disassembling my engine and
inspecting my cam and lifters, I can tell you
that you NEED an oil with
sufficient ZDDP to protect your flat tappet cam and lifters. Even
if this is a
50,000 mile engine.  ZDDP is not just for
initial break-in!  My cam lobes were all
badly
scored and my lifters worn concave (they're supposed to be convex to promote
rotation).

Here is a brief summary list of suitable oils to
use based on ZDDP content:

 Valvoline VR1 30wt

The Valvoline site states the VR-1 has ZDDP added
(1400/1300ppm zinc/phosphorus),
BUT ONLY IF MADE IN US OR CANADA. Might be
worth checking the bottle before you
buy.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

Central
Petroleum Race oil

http://www.cenpecosales.com/super_racing_oil.html

Mobil 1
(15w50 is the only one with sufficient ZDDP)

Here’s  a
chart of their product line. The last line labeled “Phosphorus content” is  the
ZDDP level:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Collectors
Choice

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=65932

Lots of good info about it here, including why
racing oil and diesel oil may not  be
optimal
for your gasoline engine:

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/pdf/220-810_220-815_INST.pdf

Brad Penn
Racing Oil

http://www.bradpennracing.com/

Shell
Rotella T Synthetic

Diesel motor oils such as Shell Rotella and
Chevron Delos 400 had proper ratings for ZDDP
content until just recently. Oil
formulations for diesel applications are changing due to
increasing emissions
regulations. There is a virgin oil analysis for Shell Rotella T Synthetic
CJ4/SM
on bobistheoilguy.com from 8/08 which shows 1300ppm of Zinc, which is plenty.
So it appears that this oil is still ok for our cars.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1234980#Post1234980

However, I would not run diesel oil in my engine.
Oil formulated for diesel applications
tends to have a much higher detergent
content to deal with the combustion byproducts,
which results in a much lower
surface tension and lower shear pressure rating. And, diesel
oil is typically a
higher viscosity for the larger bearing clearances in a diesel engine than
you
have in a high performance gasoline engine.

ZDDPlus
Additive:

http://www.zddplus.com/

Robert Kirk, who's on this list, is a distributor
for the ZDDPlus additive. Contact him directly
off-list for special pricing.

http://www.kirks-auto.com