[DeTomaso] More time to plan

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:53:14 EDT 2009

I have been having fuel supply problems that I at first had attributed to
fuel line blockage in the gas tank. After several attempts at cleaning the
tank and replacing fuel lines and adding redundant fuel  filters I found no
evidence of any type of blockage. I have a mechanical in line fuel pressure
gauge that is giving a reading below what the Pantera manual calls for. I
have not been able to fun a fuel pressure and fuel volume test to confirm
the accuraacy of gauge. My pressure gauge seems to be reading below the
recommended level. I don't know if the gauge is defective or if it is
actually reading accurate numbers in which case my fuel pressure has dropped
by around one PSI. It originally was reading between 4.5 and 5.5 psi at
operating rpms. It know seems to be more like 3.5 psi. I also seem to be
having an issue with my mixture. My plugs are fouled with soot and carbon
which would be indicative of a too rich mixture. I have a manual choke so I
am planning on checking my mixture and  checking my choke adjustment. I know
insufficent igntion voltage or wrong temp plugs can also contribute to
fouled plugs. I replaced my auto lite plugs that were # 26, I number hotter
then stock  After finding out that I had a bad coil and some ignition
voltage issues that have since been rectified I an hoping to have the
problem isolated. I replaced the fouled auto lite plugs with motor
craft plugs (at the base line temp) My autollite plugs were also gapped at
the wrong gap settings for my MSD ignition setup. The recent posts say I
should have the gapped at between .045 and .05 for an MSD ignition ( I have
an MSD 6 AL module, a blaster II coil and an MSD distributor) I have not
pulled the old plugs since I installed the new plugs at the bigger gap and
the replaced coil. I also bought a new mini pneumatic wrench so pulling the
plus will now be allot easier. So I will see if I have made any progress.Any
tips or advice will  be welcome.
Boyd