[DeTomaso] What's up with reverse

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 02:31:08 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/6/09 3:40:37 PM, ihannington286720mi at comcast.net
writes:

> I've always had a little trouble getting into reverse but now it seems a
> bit worse.  If I try with the engine running it grinds bad.  I can put it
> in reverse and then start the engine but the car slowly creeps backward with
> the clutch fully depressed.

Your clutch is dragging badly, and reverse is the only gear without a
synchronizer (all manual transmissions). On a stock Pantera clutch, disengagement
distance is marginal when everything is brand new: after many years,
linkage slop and minor leakage reduces even that. Matt the clutch pedal with the
engine off, and stick a flat feeler blade thru the bellhosing hole. This will
usually only give 0.030" of clearance-or less, which means you have maybe
0.015" on both sides of the clutch plate. Wobble in the clutch disc is more
than that so the clutch drags the flywheel and clutch plate, wearing the
synchros on every single shift. Its worse when the engine and ZF warm up 'cause
internal clearances shift to the small side. This is exactly why we
recommend a long throw clutch slave WITH a replacement clutch master cylinder
(ideally, with a larger bore than stock) for ALL Panteras. The reason I suggest
changing BOTH cylinders at once is, they wear out as a system; changing only
one often causes the remaining part to blow out spectacularly. Good luck,
Ian- J Deryke