[DeTomaso] Handling Problem

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 16:16:57 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/30/09 9:57:49 AM, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

> The circumference only differed by about 7/16".  I had never experienced
> this before,  would the same thing happen on a vehicle with a live rear
> axle?

Yes- and its good you found it early. Different rear tire diameters cause
the ZF limited-slip clutches to wear constantly. Hopefully your diff is still
a limited slip! Note this also happens when a stock collapsible spare, or a
gas-station emergency tire is mounted and driven very far.
To check your LSD: jack up one wheel, put a torque wrench on a lug nut and
see how much torque it takes to break the raised wheel loose. It should be
25-50 ft-lbs. A nice tight four-clutch-disc ZF limited-slip will break away
at around 70 ft-lbs and is one source of severe understeer in Panteras that
have this (unmarked) diff installed. Good luck- J Deryke