[DeTomaso] rear suspension survey-long

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 15:43:21 EDT 2009

You have about 20 questions here; I'll answer one: I converted one spare
upright for our '72 street car to tapered roller bearings over 10 yrs ago,
simply to compare them to a properly sized stock ball bearing on the other
side. To convert the upright, I bored the front bearing recess 5/16" deeper so a
standard lip-seal could be pressed in on top of the outboard tapered
bearing. To make the seal work properly, I discarded the stock cup-shaped axle
spacer and fabricated a spacer that fit the axle chamfer and was the right size
to slide through the seal. This is a weak spot in most such conversions
since they always use a lip-seal that only rubs against a stock cup-washer;
this does nothing but keep out (most) dust & dirt. Lip seals are designed to
rub around a shaft inside them.

On the inboard side, there is no available tapered bearing that fits the
smaller stock bearing recess so the hole must be overbored. I used the same
size tapered bearing as in front, seated against the step created by the
overbore. To maximize the stub-axle span between bearings, I made a thin
extension cup in back and pressed it into the upright behind the bearing, then added
a lip-seal in the extension. I turned & polished the companion-flange to
fit inside the seal. Again, this worked perfectly- no water/corrosion inside
since installation.
Since tapered bearings cannot stand much pre-load, I only torque that stub
axle nut to 10 ft-lbs. The stock nut is mechanically locked in place by
drilling & tapping a 1/4-20 hole thru the flange and screwing in a long allen
bolt. The bolt shank goes thru one of the spanner-nut slots, locking it in
place in spite of the light torque on the nut. The locking allen is then
safety-wired. This is easier to see in the article illustration than to describe.
30,000 miles, several track events, driving in rain- no adverse effects seen
by disassembly & direct inspection.
All this is a highly machining-intensive conversion, takes special tools,
and IMHO does nothing to increase reliability- the other upright with stock
ball bearings AND A PROPERLY SIZED STUB AXLE has given the same service at
much less cost and risk of one or more of the the machining cuts being done
wrong. I realize this is a single example so statistically, it may not be
significant. But from owners, you aren't going to get much different- most of us
only HAVE one car to work with.
Bottom line: tapered rollers are a waste of your resources, from someone
who's done it. An estimate of the costs of my labor etc would be around $1500
per upright- and no, I wouldn't bother doing it again. A set of stock ball
bearings on an oversized stub-axle so the press fit tolerance is
0.0005"-0.0009" -within specs for the ball bearings as published by the bearing mfgr,
works at least as well plus is probably more efficient (e.g- less heating),
since spot-contact from rolling balls is always less than line-contact from
rollers. No real-racecar in the world uses tapered rollers in its rear
uprights; all use ball bearings.
All this was documented in a POCA Newsletter article, with photos, in
August 1998, with a 3000 mile follow-up done in June of 1999. Periodic checks
since then have shown no wear or corrosion, in either upright assembly to date.
Good luck- J Deryke