[DeTomaso] rear suspension survey

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:43:17 EDT 2009

Greetings fellow Panterians!
 I am interested in members experience with modifications to the rear
suspension on their Panteras. More specifically has anyone developed or know
of a replacement for the roller bearings in the rear uprights.  I know Dick
Koch developed a modification using Timken roller bearings in 2000 but it
apparently wasn't picked up as a popular modification. What is the consensus
on the efficacy of the roller bearing  in this application? How many people
have converted to CV joints and who's modification did you use? Did you
switch because of the need for  a more efficient transfer of power to the
rear wheels or to simplify the rear wheel bearing  or rotor replacement or
for some other reason? And lastly how many people have replaced components
like A arms or up rights with Aluminum replacements? Did you change for
looks, weight savings, improved  ability to adjust  the rear suspension , or
for some other reasons?. This is not a formal survey I am just trying to get
a feel for other owners feelings and experiences with this part of the car
and where it stands in the hierarchy of modifications based on importance
and the  benefit / cost  analysis of this type of modification.

Thanks,

Boyd