[DeTomaso] Handling Problem

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 21:54:47 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/28/09 18 47 36, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

>      I think it does pull to the left under acceleration,  it just
> doesn't seem as obvious as it does when it pulls to the right when decelerating.
> I suspect you hit the nail on the head.  So what is actually going on that
> causes this?

It depends on the cause.

If your axle is so trashed that it's allowing extreme wheel movement, when
you step on the gas, the left wheel drives forward and toes in, which turns
the car to the left.   When you step on the brake, it toes out and steers
the car to the right.   Same thing if the A-arm bushings are shot, or the
mount for the A-arm to the chassis is compromised, or the bearings are worn in
the hub carrier where the shaft passes through the outer portion of the lower
A-arm....

This isn't the type of thing you'll diagnose from your armchair.   Jack up
the car and start wiggling. :>)