[DeTomaso] sparkless cat

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Thu Jul 23 14:58:02 EDT 2009

Rolf,

I'd get the car to the point where it won't start and then do the following
tests:

1) Turn the key on.
2) Verify with a voltmeter that you have 10 to 12V at the coil's positive
terminal (If not, you have a wiring or ignition switch problem).
If you have the proper voltage then proceed to the next step.

Test your coil as follows:
1) Turn the key off.
2) Disconnect (from the coil) the wire the runs from the distributor to the
negative terminal of the coil.
3) Connect a spare wire to the negative terminal of the coil (the other end
of the spare wire must be able to reach a ground point on the engine, such
as an intake bolt).
4) Disconnect the high-tension coil wire from the center of the distributor
cap and connect the open end of the high tension wire to a spare spark plug.
5) Hold the threads of the spark plug against an intake bolt head.
6) Turn the key "ON".
7) Now, touch the open end of the spare wire to an intake bolt and then
remove it.  Whenever you remove the wire end from the bolt head, the spark
plug should spark.
If it doesn't spark,you have a bad coil.

If the coil tests out OK, then test the distributor as outlined here:
http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/UniliteTest.pdf.

Remember, in order to locate the problem, you must perform these tests when
the system has failed, not when it's working,

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505