[DeTomaso] ZF Pumkin trick?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 02:21:04 EDT 2009

Sort of- the cast iron side plates must be pulled. These carry the outer
races of the tapeed diff bearings which can stay on the LSD. I think the ring
gear must be unbolted to work the LSD around the pinion shaft. All this is
easier if you just bite the bullet and simply unbolt the central gearbox from
the diff case. The whole gearbox then comes off from the back as a
cartridge, including the shift   shafts, forks & levers, also removing the long
pinion shaft from the diff case. Then the LSD lifts out with the ring gear still
bolted on. The iron end cap at the back of the tranny part need not be
removed.
Expect to break at least one metric allen wrench- those case bolts are
TIGHT! I used a 1/4"-drive ratchet wrench, a 6" extension and a metric socket to
hold short pieces I broke off the allen, for continued use. There is no
gasket between those cases; I bumped the protruding clutch shaft against a 2x6
on the concerete to break the two parts loose, once the bolts wee all out.
No matter how long you've drained the box, expect to dump about a pint of
gear lube on the floor when separating the diff and gearbox cases.

I hope you have the factory ZF manual in hand..... it doesn't show some
critical areas very well, but its a lot better than trying to figure this
complicated box out by yourself, especially reassembly. Good luck- J Deryke