[DeTomaso] Techno question: it is the starter gremlin again

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Thu Jul 9 00:57:22 EDT 2009

The theory is that if you have too much initial advance dialed in (static
timing), a hot engine will be hard to start. The remedy is to alter the
curve (distibutor springs and weights) so that the advance increases quickly
enough above an idle to bring in the same total number by about
3000-4000RPM. You want less initial to make starting easier, but then once
above an idle, you want the advance in as quickly as possible without any
detonation or pinging. At high RPM you should still end up at the same
advance number as was determined correct previously.
Barry
YRMV

----

Or your timing is off.  Can't remember the theory off the top of my
head... but a hot engine with the timing advanced too far will be hard
to start.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA

1971 Mach I Mustang  [ASA JAY]
1973 Pantera L 5533  [ASASCAT]

******************************
http://www.asajay.com
http://www.teampanteraracing.com

Charles Engles wrote:
> Dear Forum,
>

>               It is the hot start problem with the starter again.   The
old starter is about ten years old.  It starts cold fine, but wheezes and
starts theatrically very slowly when it the engine is up to running
temperature.   It was marginally better by adding a second ground cable.

>                I decided to install the $50 DB starter.   It starts right
up cold, but acts the same way as the old starter.

>                 This obviously means the problem ain't the starter.
So..... the gremlin lies in the ground ????---------or the gremlin needs a
larger power cable to the starter????

----