[DeTomaso] Oil Numbers

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:20:37 EDT 2009

> Okay, so how do I know what grade of oil to run, if I'm my own builder
> and I don't know the relation between clearances and oil viscosity?

If you don't know better, you build to the center of the production tolerance
range.  This should correlate with the SAE chart that shows clearance versus
temperature.  In general, run the lightest weight where your film strength is
sufficient.  For a racer, this can be verified when the engine is pulled for
inspection.  If you don't plan on pulling the engine for inspection, run the
lightest oil that doesn't lose oil pressure.

Dan Jones