[DeTomaso] Oh no! Another tire question!

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:00:17 EST 2009

Chris,

Up until a couple weeks ago the best option for tires front and rear were the Toyo Proxes,
however it looks like Hankook now has a front tire that may be a suitable match to their
V-rated rear tire. But in either case, both manufacturers have stopped production of their
295/50-15 size tires so don't delay, snatch up a set today whichever route you decide to go.

Toyo Proxes and Hankook Ventus are the best options for a street tire...

Toyo Proxes:
rear:  Toyo Proxes ST   295/50-15   H-rated (130 mph)
front: Toyo Proxes 4's   225/50-15  V-rated (149 mph)

Thoughts on the Toyo's and why I went with the Proxes 4's in front...
The tread pattern on the Proxes 4 is not an exact match to the Proxes ST, but it is close.
Some might argue that the tread pattern on the T1R is a closer match, but again it's only
close. The thing that caused me to select the Proxes 4 over the T1R was the pattern of
the tread-blocks on/at the sidewall. The Proxes 4 tread blocks at the sidewall are almost
identical to the treadblocks at the sidewall of the Proxes ST, which means the tires look
like a MATCHED SET when viewed from the side (which is how everyone views the car
when it's parked: they only see the rear end when it's moving!). This was important to me.
The tread blocks at the sidwall of the T1R do not match the ST. They look like completely
different tires when viewed from the side. And the Proxes R888 bears no resemblance at
all to the Proxes ST. The R888 would look even more like a mis-matched tire than the T1R.

Go with the ST's on the rear and the 4's on the front and it will look like a matched set of tires.

Driving impressions:
The Toyo's suprised me!  The Pantera feels much more confident and secure in corners
with the Toyos than it did with the BFG Comp TA's (front) and Euro TA's (rear). The Toyos
have way more grip. And, turning requires less effort with the Toyos than the BFG's. Initial
turn-in is easier and more responsive too. I love these tires compared to the BFG's. I
haven't driven in rain, so I can't comment on wet traction, but the Toyo Proxes ST and R
are rated as an "all season" performance tires. FWIW, the T1R is a "summer" tire.

Check out Toyo's promo video here for more info about all the Proxes line of tires:
http://www.toyo.com/docs/videos.asp?video=ProxesLineProduct

Here's a thread with more Pantera driving impressions on the Toyo's:
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1510042044/m/1370000094

Hankook Ventus:
rear:  Ventus ST RH06   295/50-15   V-rated (149 mph)
front: Ventus R-S2 Z212  225/50ZR15  ZR-rated (Tires that have a maximum capability above 186 MPH must have a "ZR" appear in the size designation. Consult the manufacturer for maximum speed when there is no Service Description.)

The 295/50-15 Ventus ST RH06 appears to also be discontinued as it's no longer listed on
the Hankook website and a number of other tire websites (that used to list it). When I
considered the V-rated 295/50-15 Hankook Ventus ST RH06, but they had NO suitable tire
for the front other than an H-rated tire - same problem as with the Toyo's, but different end.

BUT, the landscape may have changed. They now have a "Ventus R-S2 Z212" in a
225/50ZR15 for $99 each at Tire Rack. I have no idea if the tires look like a matched set
with the RH06's, but this may be a good option to get V and Z rated rubber.

However, I just tried a web search for this tire and could not a source that listed the
295/50-15 size on their site.  If you can find them, snatch them up.

Cheers!
Garth