[DeTomaso] Oh no! Another tire question!

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Jan 29 00:55:53 EST 2009

I'm sorry to do this to y'all, but I wasn't paying any attention to all the tire threads, until now when it was discovered my tires are shot.

I have Pirelli P7s (I know, I know; they were great back in the dark ages) and now I need to replace them.

They are the unfortunate size of 285-50 VR15 for the rear and 225-50 VR15 for the front.

I remember seeing something on the forum about how you can't get that size anymore, and I'm finding this to be true.

Since new, larger wheels are not in the budget (I have period aftermarket wheels now), I need advice.  Should I get 295-50 rears (I was told they'd fit instead of 285) and 225-50 fronts that are only rated to 130 MPH?  They are available
and since I don't race this car, maybe I could use them without any problems.

Or should I try continually looking on ebay and craig's list (or periodically ask the forum) to try and find a set of the right size tires with a z rating?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Chris