[DeTomaso] Radiator drain and new hoses

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 10:38:52 EST 2009

Personally, I'd run it until it came up to temp and let plain water help
clear away any loose debris/rust etc that has formed and could work its way
into clogging up a radiator tube.  Then carefully drain the system properly
by also jacking up the front and the rear alternately to get as much of it
out as possible.  I would also replace the thermostat at this point and
possibly the water pump unless I was 100% sure that it was in perfect
working order.

The stiffer hoses can be made more pliant by putting them into the oven at
150 for a few minutes and I've used a smidgen of Dawn Dish washing liquid as
a lubricant on the male parts to help facilitate easier installation, I
don't see what a little WD-$0 could hurt either, perhaps others know of some
reaction to rubber but I know of none.  Wear some work gloves if you heat
the hoses up to make it less ouchy!

Consider double hose clamps as well and make sure that the srcew/tightener
part isn't facing down underneath the car where it might hit a speed bump or
road debris.

Michael in Savannah