[DeTomaso] Trouble Removing Wiper Grill

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 16:51:41 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/13/09 13 38 38, artstephens at charter.net writes:

>      It appears that the wiper grills have never been off of #2556,  so it
> looks like they have been there for 37 years!  I've already broken one using
> needle nose pliers,  (the way I have always removed them on #4268).  Any
> suggestions on how to get these off without doing any more damage?

Those things are cheap pot metal, and fantastically expensive.   More than
$300 each for the factory ones, last time I looked.   YOW!

The early cars use prongs on the grilles which engage metal clips which in
turn are pressed through holes in tangs on the body.   Spray liberally with
Liquid Wrench to try to free them up.   Then you're probably better off using a
flat-blade screwdriver to carefully pry them out (taking appropriate measures to
protect the paint of course, wrapping the screwdriver with a layer of
electrical tape works).

Once you have the grilles out, remove the tangs and discard them, and replace
them with friendly rubber grommets.   The ones I found that worked best were
by Servalite, part RG-XD.   The SKU is 39008 434498 (quantity 10)

I found only one on-line source, doing a Google search; it is at an
electronics store in San Rafael, CA:

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?pagenum=2&lname=&
maincat=Ha&subcat=Hgr

I actually bought mine at my local Ace hardware store, but another Ace store
in another town didn't carry Servalite products.