[DeTomaso] Shock recomendations

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 19:07:01 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/12/09 13 57 58, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> But stock-length shocks are only
> meaningful if you plan to drive such that the entire stroke of the shock
> will
> be used- that is, getting airborne over high-speed bumps so the a-arms go to
> full-droop, and coming down from such airborne excursions so the shock goes
> full compression. This is decidedly unhealthy for your stock suspension
> mounts-
> frame breakage has occurred with such driving.
>
>>>Uh...what?   The only frame breakage I'm aware of happened to Ellis
Woumnm's car, which was chained down by the frame to a flatbed tow truck and then
driven over very rough roads; the stresses were enough to break a chassis rail,
which was repaired in Roger Sharp's driveway.   But I've never heard of stock
suspension mounts simply ripping out of a car due to hard driving?   Can you
share the specific instances where this occurred?

> What rubber bump-stops a Pantera may have left is also important; some
> owners
> remove them as annoyances....also a very bad idea.
>
>>>That sounds like a *spectacularly* bad idea!

FWIW I can't seem to find anything resembling a rubber bump stop on my
Carrera shocks, but I'm too lazy to pull a wheel to look for them.   I always
wondered about that though--are they simply so small that they're invisible, or do
they in fact not have any?