[DeTomaso] Shock recomendations

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 20:58:04 EST 2009

Tony,

    I made a quick measure of the distance between shock mounting point centers with the lower control arms eyeballed to be horizontal, and came out with about 15 inches.  I think someone said that the optimal height is when the lower control arms are horizontal, so I was surprised that the separation is not less because I think the Aldan shocks most often used (755s?) are 15.4 inches fully extended.  I'll try to make a more accurate measurement unless someone has already done it.

    Is your issue that you want to use high rate 10 inch springs?  Could you get a bit shorter spring with a higher spring rate to lower your car more?

    Has anyone modeled tire position (for various tires) versus lower control arm position and shock length to determine the useful shock length?

Ken