[DeTomaso] How tough are the 15" factory magnesiumwheels?-UPDATE-"I'm no Mad Dawg"

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 19:57:23 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/9/09 12 42 54, artstephens at charter.net writes:

>      I can appreciate how you feel about getting all the miles you can out
> of those tires.  But,  I was just talking to a guy at work yesterday that
> had three of his five,  good looking tires go bad.  One grew a giant bump on
> the tread as he was driving.  The spare blew up while not being used and
> another tire blew on the road after he sold the truck to a friend that he
> had warned about the good looking old tires.  It does seem to be a bit of a
> gamble driving on tires that old.

It really depends on how they were used, and how they were stored.   Tires on
an RV or a trailer are an entirely different matter, because usually those
vehicles are parked outside and thus subject to the ravages of the weather.
Also, they often sit for protracted periods, which is also bad.   So the urban
legends of spectacular tire failures have validity due to those contributing
factors.

I suspect there is absolutely nothing wrong with your tires, assuming the car
was taken care of properly, and driven periodically.   FWIW the tires on both
my Pantera and Cobra are BFG Euro T/A 305/50 (same as yours) that are over
ten years old, and although they are a bit hard, otherwise they are perfectly
fine.   You have to just use your best judgement.   If there is any indication
of checking, cracking, etc. then off to the landfill they go.