[DeTomaso] How tough are the 15" factory magnesiumwheels?-UPDATE-"I'm no Mad Dawg"

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 05:34:38 EST 2009

I'll second the "the tire store did you no favors" opinion, and again based
on personal experience and not second-hand stories...

My GT5-S came with a spare set of unused rear Pirelli P7R's. When the time
came, I mounted them up. They lasted exactly 40 kilometers before I heard a
loud "BANG!". The noise was loud enough to scare me into pulling over to
investigate, and I watched the last of the air run of out my tire.

It had split lengthwise right between the tread, probably four inches long.
Fortunately I was only tiptoing along at probably 20mph when it happened. We
can speculate about what could have happened had I been "at speed" or in
curves.

Post mortum inspection - there was no cracking visible in the tire, with the
exception of the one huge crack that was fatal. The tire was 11 years old.
The tire looked brand new - the little nipple thingies hadn't even begun to
wear off yet. It killed me to throw away two tires that "looked" so new, but
away they went.

Sometimes tire stores have silly rules to cover their a**es but this is one
case where I think there is a legitimate safety issue. Thank about what life
would be like if your tire split on you while accelerating on a highway
cloverleaf... or on a 2-lane road with an oncoming truck..