[DeTomaso] axel shaft bolts source

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 19:45:45 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/9/09 9 17 42, rimov at charter.net writes:

> Any one have a source for stainless axle shaft bolts. The bolts and lock
> nuts seem to be somewhat of an odd duck. They are 11mmx32mm with a 1.25 mm
> pitch

I wouldn't use stainless in that application.   The factory parts book shows
them as being 7/16 x 20 x 1 1/4, but it's not quite that simple.   Our
driveshaft bolts have an unusually long grip-length to thread ratio.   Normally, a
bolt of a given length has only a certain percentage threaded, i.e. 80%, and the
last 20% is an unthreaded shoulder.   Our driveshaft bolts have something
more like 50% thread, 50% shoulder, and it is very important that the bolt is
shouldered where it touches both the driveshaft, and the mounting flange on the
hub or gearbox.

Fortunately, Aircraft Spruce sells The Good Stuff--cad-plated AN
(aircraft-spec) bolts of the appropriate length and with the appropriate grip
length--stronger and better than the best you can get at a hardware store.

What you need exactly is AN7-11A, which is a cad-plated bolt, 1 7/32 inches
long, with a 9/16 inch grip length, and an undrilled shank.

Cost is a very reasonable $1.19 each, and here's a direct link to their
website:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an7.php

Your matching cad-plated nylon stop nut is the AN365-720A, which costs 78
cents each.   Direct link to the ordering page here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an363_1.php

There you go!