[DeTomaso] Comments about engine build welcome

astephens artstephens at charter.net
Fri Jan 9 16:00:29 EST 2009

Christopher,
     I had Steve Wilkinson build me a similar engine.  I previously had a
377 stroker with 4Vclosed chamber heads and the Comp Cams 32-541-8 hydraulic
roller cam.  Steve built me a 408 stroker Cleveland with a Scat crank,  CHI
3V heads and a matching CHI dual plane manifold so I could run the original
engine screen.  I think the 377 made 385 HP to the rear wheels.  I crashed
my car before I got the 408 to the dyno but it was faster!  I figured going
up in cubic inches would drop my HP and torque peak rpms by 3-400 to around
5400-5500,  which was fine by me.  I didn't want to rev the engine to the
moon anyway.  The car was fun to drive with that engine.  I used the same
cam in both engines.

Art