[DeTomaso] Carbon Fiber Brake discs!!!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 02:21:16 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/4/09 1:47:32 PM, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> They mentioned that the rotors are about 4 pounds lighter. That would be a
> nice option for those
> of us who now have swapped wheels to the heavier Campy Clone that add to
> unsprung weight.
> Plus they also have quite good breaking characteristics...but not sure if
> regular pads would work, nor
> if or how long before there is a version that will fit the Pantera.

Interesting. They typically do not work worth a d.... until really hot, so
unless they've done something special, this might not be the hot tip for street
cars driven in traffic. I'd be interested in any lifespan data. In F-1,
pro-motorcycle and other racing, carbon brake discs wear out at the same rate as the
pads and both are thrown away at the end of an event. So I'd imagine you'd
need proprietary pads for proper wear rate. Cheers- J DeRyke