[DeTomaso] Quenched Head Rework or Tweaks???

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 00:55:18 EST 2009

I have pieces of some Ferrea 5000 series valves on my bench, along with a
351C block that needs 1 sleeve.

I have 6000 series valves in my next engine.

The price difference between 5000 and 6000 series valves is miniscule
compared to the rest of the cost to build an engine.

There are 2 theories on why my engine came apart.

One theory is that it ingested debris through unfiltered Webers.  The debris
caused a valve to bend and then to separate from the valve stem.

The second theory is the valve head came off on its own.

What's known is the valve head came off, banged around a few revolutions,
disintegrated the piston, and put 3 or 4 holes in the cylinder.

I believe the second theory for 2 reasons.  First, I have a hard time
believing it could have sucked in a rock, nail, etc. large enough to cause
the valve head to separate.  Second, I've read 3 or 4 stories about people
that had the same results - with 5000 series valves.

You're best bet is to talk to some engine builders about the different
valves.  Use the best valves you can find.

I don't think Summit or Jegs carry Ferrea 5000 series valves.  I believe I
got mine from Flatlander Racing.