[DeTomaso] Fw: Fw:  Fw:  Fw:  Tapered Bearing problems

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 1 15:21:47 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/1/09 7:28:30 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> What is the torque spec supposed to be for the axle nuts on the tapered
> bearing conversion? Stock is supposed to be 300ft/lbs?

'Stock' torque is too low, especially if a reused axle nut is used. These
often have lots of drag on the threads, which lowers the torque actually applied
to the axle. Most of us use 400+ ft-lbs. The axle threads will strip around
1200 ft-lbs, so don't worry much about breaking things.... Tapered bearing
torque specs are varied: I use 6-8 ft-lbs since they're exactly like front wheel
bearings except larger in dia. Over-torquing them causes quick failure while
under-torque means they loosen & also fail. And they do need periodic greasing by
some method. With such low torque, most rear conversions recommend Lock-tite
on the nut, but being an ex-chemical engineer, I distrust chemical locking-
its dependent on things being very, very clean before using. So I devised a
mechanical lock for the nut in my conversion. The article was in the August '98
POCA News, with a 3000 mile update in June '99; sorry- neither avail.
electronically. Cheers- J Deryke