[DeTomaso] Update on Concorso Italiano and other Monterey events

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Thu Feb 26 21:14:17 EST 2009

Following the dismal showing at the Concorso Italiano at the airport
location in 2008, there was a secret meeting of the heads of the major
Italian crime families (Don Ferrari, Don Maserati, Don Lamborghini,
etc.)  The purpose of the meeting was to plot an alternative event.
(Naturally I cannot reveal the details lest I end up with a horse's
head.)

I can say that we talked about various types of events and various
locations.  We then met again to scout out various locations around
Monterey.  If you think renting a room in Monterey is expensive, try
renting an entire golf course for a few days.  (A one day event actually
takes about five days to set up and cleanup.)

Of course, there was split in the group with some people wanting one
location and some wanting another location.  One faded and the other
emerged.

The net of it is there will be the Monterey Bay Concours at Blackhorse
on Thursday, August 13th.  I drove to Monterey on Thanksgiving Day to
checkout the site, since I was concerned about the construction.  I
found that the site is actually pretty good with a gorgeous layout and a
new entry point from what had been used in the past at Blackhorse.

Here are some pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/Maseratinet/BayonetBlackhorseSitePhotos

The website for the new event should be live in the next day or so at
www.montereybayconcours.com.

Maserati Club International is the primary backer.

There will be a Pantera section.  The pricing has not been set yet but
should be well below the cost of Concorso Italiano.

Speaking of which, Jack Wadsworth just sold Concorso Italiano the other
day.  The new owner, Tom McDowell, will host the event on Friday August
14th.  I contacted the new owner who said that the event will not be
back at the airport.  The new location will be announced once the
contracts are signed.  I do not know when that will be or what the
likely site will is.

Also, 200 Ferrari people (FCA) are headed over to the now sold-out Quail
event, www.quaillodgeevents.com/pages/thequail.cgi  I assume those will
be the upper-end Ferraris.  I will cycle back with FCA to see where the
rest of them are headed.

Once the various events' details are announced, I will get on the POCA
website.