[DeTomaso] Thermostat longevity, air bleeding

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 22:16:11 EST 2009

I changed all the pipes and hoses to stainless and gates. The last guy had already changed the pipe to the block to stainless a few years ago and it does not leak.
Any reason why I have to also take that apart and replace the thermostat if it all works fine?  I thought thermostats lasted a long long time??

Also, when I refill and start the car and try to jack up one end and then the other can water pump or engine damage occur as the temp gauge may not be accurate if air is in the system?
I assume you try to get most of the air out prior to starting.

Thanks

CW