[DeTomaso] Gauge panel question

Kirk Evans kre at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 21 21:18:28 EST 2009

Mike,

All of the early two pod dash cars had metal gauge panels and the later
single pod dash cars had the plastic type you described. They went back to
metal once the plastic version ran out---the shape was similar to the L
model but not an exact duplicate. I have made all 3 designs including a
polished stainless trimmed L model replica. I'll send you pictures Mike of
the various shapes and styles including the 74 replica installed in a car
like you did with yours.The only visible difference with my  replica was the
gauge panel center is semi black paint rather than a leather grained look
like the original. The outer trim was polished bright stainless like the
original 74 style which was plated plastic. The black paint center mirrors
the dash insert used in the single pod dash which held 3 extra gauges, a
full sweep oil pressure, full sweep water temp, and vacuum all mechanical
type refaced to look like Vegela originals in the lower console  The
customer preferred smooth paint rather than a leather print or wood grain
look beside/around all of the gauges.

If any one else is interested in seeing pictures of the different years
against a fiberglass or any interior version finished, let me know  and I'll
send pictures your way.

Kirk