[DeTomaso] Seat Buzzer Maybe???

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 23:07:35 EST 2009

I was out enjoying my Pantera this afternoon while going to a Daytona 500 party, when I
heard a loud buzzing sound coming from somewhere near the left front tire. It actually
sounded like an anemic buzzer or relay that wouldn't hold rather than a tire rubbing or
something like that. Other than never hearing this sound before, the other strange thing was
that it only happened when I shifted into the gears in the lower portion of the shift gate
(gears 1, 3, 5). It didn't make the buzzing sound all the time, but it made it pretty regularly. I
got out and looked in the front trunk, but didn't see anything, so I got back in and started
driving again. Again, I started to hear the loud buzzing sound, so I pulled the ash tray out as
I was driving (probably should have pulled over and stopped, but I had already done that
once). I noticed
 an unconnected black wire with an unconnected female connector that
would make contact with the shift linkage every time I pulled the shift lever back to shirt into
1st, 3rd or 5th. The connector was shorting out through the shift linkage, completing a
circuit and setting off the buzzer. I pulled the connector out through the hole where the ash
tray had been and the buzzing sound stopped for good!
I've noticed a male electrical connection under both seats when I've had reason to pull them
out. I'm guessing that there was originally some kind of interlock/buzzer system that
sounded when the seat was occupied and the seatbelt was still retracted. This loose wire
under the ash tray must be part of that circuit......?????? or is it something else????