[DeTomaso] Anyone using 245/40/17 Front Tires

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Thu Dec 24 11:44:30 EST 2009

Dear Perry,

          I have two 7000 series late Pantera L cars with stock fenders.
One car runs 255-40-17 front tires with about a 3 degree positive caster.
The other one runs 245-40-17 front tires and runs about 3 ½ to 4 degrees
positive caster.  Both tire sizes rub the inner fender at full steering
crank in parking lot situations.  This is inconsequential.

          The 255 tires required a little bit of extra gentle massaging of
the front fender lip for no tire-metal contact.   The 245 tires  with the
high positive caster looked good, but close.  Unfortunately, close was too
close and a little paint repair followed by some extra gentle massaging of
that fender lip provided the necessary clearance.   I believe (sorry Maddog)
that the extra positive caster over the common stock setting produces a
little different front suspension geometry that puts the front mid-arch
fender lip rather too close for driving purposes without some special
attention.   In my opinion (sorry Maddog), this is not likely to be
necessary if the low positive stock caster setting is used

.an ounce of
prevention is worth a few hundred dollars at the paint and body shop.

                     Warmest regards, Chuck Engles