[DeTomaso] typos in POCA newsletter

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 15:28:22 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/20/09 11 13 50, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> My understanding is that 10W-30 means the oil flows like a 10 wt when it
> is cold and a 30 wt when it is hot, not the other way around.
> And viscosity decreases with increasing temp, so flow would increase as
> temp goes up, not decrease.
>

>>>That's exactly right.   The lower the number, the thinner the oil.   For
cars driven in all weather, a straight 30-weight oil would be too thick at
startup in cold temperatures, while a straight 10-weight would be
appropriately thin at startup, but then would fail to provide enough protection as it
warmed up, especially in hot weather.   That's why multi-grade oils are
superior for almost every form of real-world driving, whether you're using
synthetic or not.