[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Brace question

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 15:18:34 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/20/09 10 55 23, jderyke at aol.com writes:

> But since the actual a-arm attach point is the 'horse-shoe'
> weldment surrounding the areas where the supposed flex is occurring, and
> those
> parts don't fatigue-crack or break their spot-welds even on dedicated
> track
> cars, I doubt if a lower bar does much of anything except add weight and
> complication,
>

>>>The sole function of the lower bar is to triangulate the upper bar.   If
the upper and lower bars aren't connected to each other, the lower bar
really isn't doing anything substantive.   But by connecting them, it creates a
rigid structure, which prevents the top bar (and thus the chassis) from
moving side-to-side relative to the bottom bar under heavy cornering loads.
Having the bars that join the upper and lower pieces angled at a 45 degree
angle (or thereabouts) is no accident.

Envision the car as viewed directly from the rear.   Imagine a cornering
force on the right rear suspension, which would otherwise force the top rear
chassis on the right side to deflect inwards.   By installing a simple bar
across the top the way De Tomaso did, that force is transmitted to the other
side of the car, greatly increasing its strength.   Now, the right side
deflects inwards, and the left side deflects outwards, although the total
movement is considerably less.

With a proper rear chassis kit installed, the force applied at the top
right, is transmitted not only to the top left, but also to the bottom left in
compression, and the bottom right in tension, through the use of the two
45-degree angled tubes.   That results in a radical increase in strength, in
what is arguably the weakest single area of the chassis.   While the other
three braces in the system likely do something, the one atop the transaxle
undoubtedly does the most.

Note that as Jack said, this system only works when there is no freedom of
movement between the brace and the car.   Securing it only with bolts will
lessen its effect, most likely, although perhaps not significantly.
However, the structure itself must be perfectly rigid in all planes in order to
have any measurable function.   Systems which use heim joints fail that
critical philosophical test, and are thus borderline useless.

Imaging having a roll cage with heim joints at each corner.   How effective
do you think that would be?   The chassis stiffening kits are simply
miniature roll cages designed to keep small portions of the car perfectly rigid.

One thing that the manufacturers haven't caught onto is the fact that by
having the upper and lower mounts on each side parallel to one another, they
are giving up a little bit of rigidity.   Even with the 45 degree tubes
mounted, you can see how one side could move up and down slightly relative to the
other side, as both the upper and lower mounts pivoted on the mounting
bolts on each side.   If the bottom mounts were rotated 90 degrees, so that the
upper bolts faced fore-aft and the bottom ones faced up-down, that would
probably impart greater strength (although whether that would really make a
difference from behind the wheel is rather doubtful).