[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Brace question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 13:54:30 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/20/09 8:26:10 AM, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> My fabricator is building a new adjustable engine bay brace ... I've seen
> the X or dual type brace and wonder if how important the bottom brace is
> and what improvements I will notice?

The contribution of a short lower brace just above the subframe rails
likely won't be noticable. On a street car, it's 'gilding the lily' so-to-speak.
The typical location is across the area where the upper a-arm attach points
are located, and I guess the intent is to keep those sheet metal panels from
flexing. But since the actual a-arm attach point is the 'horse-shoe'
weldment surrounding the areas where the supposed flex is occurring, and those
parts don't fatigue-crack or break their spot-welds even on dedicated track
cars, I doubt if a lower bar does much of anything except add weight and
complication, except maybe on a real racer driven very hard with gumball tires.
But if you do decide to add the lower bar anyway, make sure the plates it
mounts to are curved in two planes to closely match the normal contour of the
inner fender panels, and are welded or brazed all the way around the 4
edges. If the mount plates are left flat and force the sheet metal to conform,
it may break spot welds and cause the situation to ultimately be worse, not
better. Bolting the plates on won't transfer the supposed loads to the inner
fender panels as effectively as peripheral welding/brazing. And on the usual
designs, I'm also not a big fan of welding load-carrying braces to the
center of the upper bar. Tubes don't like loads coming in at their middles.
My best guess- J Deryke