[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Air Flow

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 03:10:05 EDT 2009

<<< Someone recently commentd about the purpose of NOS being to cool the intake
charge.  While it DOES cool the intake charge some, I doubt that the "200" shot comes
from cooling.  More likely all the oxygen! >>>

You're absolutely right. The added power is a result of "all the oxygen," which allows for
additional fuel.  There are two ways an engine gets additional oxygen from Nitrous Oxide.

1. Cooling the intake charge - Nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the
intake air when it vaporizes. Reducing the intake air temperature increases the air's
density, and this provides more oxygen to the cylinders.

2. Chemical effect of Nitrous Oxide - When nitrous oxide is heated to about 570 degrees F
(~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen, resulting in additional oxygen to the cylinders.

The combined effects of cooling the intake charge and the chemical separation of oxygen
from Nitrous Oxide results in more oxygen being available during combustion. And,
because there's more oxygen, we can inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to
produce significantly more power (the 200-shot you mentioned)!