[DeTomaso] Oil filler/breather caps wanted

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Aug 22 18:16:39 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/22/09 15 06 56, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

>      My pretty much stock car has the filler cap at the front left and
> the
> PCV at the right rear,  one cap only.  I have had a couple guys say that
> their cars were the same way,  so I suspect that is the way they came from
> the factory?  It makes sense to me since most Clevelands went into front
> engined cars necessitating the fill cap at the front.  Of course the front
> is the wrong place for the Pantera.  One more example of the car not quite
> being finished as delivered.  :-))

Right you are.   Photos of engines stacked up at the factory awaiting
installation (in 1972) show them exactly as you describe.   Most cars I've seen
have had them reversed, with the oil filler at the right rear, which makes
sense from a practical perspective.   Whether this was an owner modification
or performed at the factory, I don't know.

Thanks for the confirmation--I should have thought to look at those photos
in the first place!

That also means that I need only two caps, and not five--and two
corresponding PCV valves and grommets from the other valve covers.