[DeTomaso] supercharger question

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 13 22:19:11 EDT 2009

Yes - a big can of worms.

I've posted before that I had a 93 Mustang Cobra.  It had a warmed over 5.0.
Nothing fancy, but plenty fast enough for getting around on the street.

After I had it for several years, I finally decided that it would be fun to
try a Vortech.  I got the kit designed for about 9lbs of boost.  I forget
the model #.  With the Vortech, it was like driving on ice.  The tires spun
easily.  Gas mileage did not go down.  It did not have an
intercooler/aftercooler.

Another data point:  My brother has a 2003 Cobra.  It has a 4.6 dohc with
the factory Eaton.  He has done minor mods, mostly just a smaller pulley and
a custom tune.  He makes about 430hp to the rear wheels - from 231".  That's
impressive.  It has an air-water cooler under the blower.  Some of the 03
Cobra guys are getting over 500hp, and probably even 600hp to the rear
wheels with fairly simple mods (ported stock blower or upgrade to a Kenne
Bell)

My opinion - any blower will make more HP than you will use.  A twin screw
would be easier to mount.  A centrifugal is a challenge.  A big GMC/BDS
would be interesting if you could make it fit.  But... turbos would probably
be even easier to mount, plus they'd make more hp.  If you're going to be a
bear...