[DeTomaso] First Mangusta assembly question. (I'm proud of myself!)

dickruzzindesign dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 18:30:23 EDT 2009

James,
My car has the original cover over the wires. It is simply a thin piece of flexible tubing that is about 1/2 inch in diameter. It spans the gap from the body side to the door side when the door is fully open, no fancy attachments.

The windows are adjustable in several ways, from the inside of the door when they are already set in the frame.  Make sure the mechanism works freely, you should be able to move it freely up and down by hand through the door inner opening.  Do that before you put the motors in place.  It should operate by hand very freely.  The motors are not very powerful.

You should take the little flat sheet metal  cover off of the drive mechanism, four screws as I recall.  Check the gears, you should really put new brass ones in, they are available.  The originals are white plastic of some kind.  The motors are mounted in rubber grommets as they need some mounting flexability to torque over to start in either direction.  I would take your motors apart and clean them as I found all kinds of nasty bugs, dirt, etc in mine years ago when I had the firts problem.  I ended up using Pantera motors, with two wires instead of three like the originals.  That required a couple of relays to switch them over.
The description on how to do this is on Danas Mangusta International site, written by me.

Good luck, and do not hesitate to ask advice or questions, there is a lot of good skill and experience on this site.

--
All the best, Dick Ruzzin.