[DeTomaso] First Mangusta assembly question. (I'm proud of myself!)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 17:31:45 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/3/09 14 09 21, james at ground-control.com writes:

> I have really been resisting asking questions on this list.
>
>>>This you should not do!   That's what this list is all about.

>  I have been
> trying to be more helpful than needy,
>
>>>A noble sentiment, but highly unnecessary.   If you are in a position to
ask something, ask it!   You're not imposing on anybody, and it's likely
that somebody has been there, done that and can make your life easier.   Heck,
it doesn't even cost anything.   Such a deal!

> but when you are trying to
> reassemble a car that was disassembled in 1974....well some things just
> have more questions than answers.
>
>>>Hence, this list. :>)
>
> Right now I have reassembled the doors after painting, and I need to know
> how are the power window wires covered on your Mangusta or Pantera as
> they
> traverse the gap between the doorjamb and the body? Is there an accordion
> booty or anything beside just an ill-fitting grommet?
>
>>>I can't answer the question for Mangustas.   On my Pantera, the wires
leading into the door (for the window motor, and also for the red light at the
back of the door) are simply wrapped in electrical tape.   There is a
rubber grommet in the front of the door, and on the side of the body.   The
nature of the door opening is such that the wires aren't stressed/pulled in any
way.   In the Mangusta, the door opening is a bit more extreme, and I could
envision a scenario where the wires would either be pulled as the door
opened, or scrunched as it shut.   But actual Mangusta owners would be much more
able to answer that specific question properly.

> >After this step, I can wire up the power window motors and gather the
> entire family to watch them creep up and down!
>
>>>I very much hope that you have installed brass gears in the window
gearboxes?   The standard setup (same as the Pantera) uses plastic gears, which
get brittle and shatter after a few years.   You do not want to put the whole
car together, only to have to tear it apart again.   If you don't know for
a fact that there are brass gears in there, take everything apart and
inspect it, and replace them if they are plastic.   You will NEVER regret doing
that!

> So far the radiator, trim, tailights, headlights, interior, suspension
> etc
> are all back together. But I may still need help, so thanks in advance.

or just cheerleading. :>)

BTW, how about some photos for the group?   Yours is a black car, isn't it?
  VIN?   Two- or four-headlight?   Inquiring minds want to know. :>)