[DeTomaso] Air Conditioner Compressor Belt Tension

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 15:27:29 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/1/09 11:45:46 AM, spleen at spamcop.net writes:

> How do I adjust the tension on the belt to the air conditioner
> compressor?  The 3/4" nut on the front obviously isn't the answer, and I can't see
> how to get to anything on the other side that would let me loosen it.  I know
> the answer has got to be simple, but I just can't see it.

It's not simple: there simply is not enough room for any known type of
wrench to reach into grip the bolt's hex-head. What you need to do is get under
the car and jam a screwdriver or small pry-bar blade in between the bolt
hex-head and the ribs on the mount, while a friend untightens the nut. Then you
immediately make a rectangular piece of 3/8" thick steel that fits inside
the recess, tap it for the thread of the bolt you removed and use THAT as the
'nut', running the bolt in from the front. Being rectangular, the chunk of
steel won't rotate inside the mount ribs when adjusting tension. Or if you
don't do this back-yard stuff, all the vendors have such a part already made.

Second possibility: if you have not yet converted from the ancient-tech
York A/C to a lighter more efficient rotary unit, when you do so, the rotary
compressor's necessary adapter bracket can be made to slide back and forth on
the mount (by slotting the bracket holes) to adjust belt tension by moving
the whole   compressor. This eliminates the idler pulley and the whole
problem goes away, although you do need to line the pullies up pretty close by eye
or you will throw a belt.
Finally, I dunno whether the vendors have solved the problem or not, but it
used to be impossible to find a replacement bearing for the idler bearing
when it went out- you had to replace the entire idler assembly; just another
reason to eliminate the idler. My 2¢- J Deryke