[DeTomaso] Where to buy a single Keith Black KB148 piston

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:11:58 EDT 2009

Hi Rolf

You probably don't want to hear this, but I second the opinion of those who
recommend changing all the pistons. If one was affected, then perhaps others
have been damaged.

This comes from someone who tried changing a single valve spring that broke.
I was stranded on the highway when a second one, obviously weakened, broke a
few weeks later. I ended up completely rebuilding the engine (um, more than
once) because I tried taking the quick way out and only replaced the
component that showed obvious wear. The remaining components had been
subjected to the same conditions and had the same age, which meant that I
spent time on the shoulder waiting for a towtruck and lived through a
certain amount of frustration until I threw in the towel and started from
scratch.

Just something to keep in mind. Perhaps you'll be fine just changing one
piston. Or you'll get to know the towtruck drivers on a first-name basis...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"