[DeTomaso] zf oil

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 12:49:08 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/17/09 8:19:44 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> So should I just tip the ZF forward until 3.5 quarts go in, or is there a
> danger of overfilling?

JUst leave thing level and add until lube drools back out the fill hole.
Not much danger of overfilling this way, and if you do manage to stuff some
extra in and then run the car hard, the extra will expand and come out the
overflow line (and make a mess). More serious is under-filling which can cause
bearing and gear wear. Trying to get the full 3-1/2 qts in won't normally
work anyway 'cause one simply cannot drain all the old stuff out without
disassembly. On one removed ZF with the front cover removed, I tipped it up
on-end overnight over a bucket. 12 hrs later, I separated the cases and dumped
enough 'extra lube' on the floor to make a 4 ft dia puddle.... Cheers- J
Deryke