[DeTomaso] NPC Re: Speeding ticket check returned

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Thu Apr 9 19:20:56 EDT 2009

All I can tell you, is in the case I cited earlier, we talked directly
with the prosecuting attorney, because we asked about having the
police officer testify.  The prosecuting attorney told us the officer
would -not- be coming to court, they no longer did that (probably for
the minor traffic infractions).  That even if my wife plead not
guilty, it would be tried that day and the officers testimony would be
given by the prosecuting attorney.  Since we explained she had the
right to discovery as outlined in the letter sent to her and her trial
had been set prior to the expiration of that time, he rescheduled the
trial and assisted us in obtaining the ticket information she was
entitled to.

Now, had she asked for a trial by jury it may have been different, I
don't know.  I do know that I've served on a jury in two separate DUI
cases, but those might be considered larger infractions.  For the
smaller ones, like you indicate, they may not allow that.

The typical scenario I've seen in the last 10 years starts out by
dividing the defendants into the guilty pile and the not guilty pile.
The court burns through all the guilty pleas really quick, assigning
judgments and collecting fines.  Then they move on to the not guilty
pleas, wherein they take your testimony, the prosecutor compares it to
what the officer wrote and testifies on his behalf.  Depending on the
judge, they must may take each one as it comes, guilty or not, either
way, the prosecutor is there the entire time.

I guess the thing there is, I've never seen anyone else smart enough
to ask for a trial by jury, but don't know they'd get it even if they
asked.

Asa Jay