[DeTomaso] Pantera II

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 00:48:17 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/3/09 15 54 28, msm at portata.com writes:

> Anybody anything about this Ghia-built Pantera-Merek-Bricklin mashup?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De_Tomaso_Pantera_Series_II_Front.jpg

That's the Pantera 7X prototype.   Although the Pantera design was
successfully modified in 1972 to meet the new bumper laws (the L-model), the laws were
changing again in 1975 and the car would have to be extensively redesigned to
meet the new standards.   Plus, the model would be five years old at that
point, so it was time for a bit of a freshening.

I believe it was Tom Tjaarda who was given the task of cleaning up his design
(could be wrong--I'll ask him and let you know), with the constraints of the
new laws, including bumpers that would absorb a 5 mph impact and deform, then
pop back into shape.

With all those external constraints working against him, he did the best he
could under the circumstances.   The result was the 1975 Pantera 7X.   It
shared many hard bits (doors, windshield, basic chassis, suspension, drivetrain
etc.) but many panels were extensively modified.   The whole back of the car
changed dramatically, with the sails on the sides of the decklid replaced with
Maserati Merak-style flying buttresses.   Stock wheels were painted white and
fitted with bright chrome trim rings.

Arguably the design isn't particularly graceful, especially when compared
with the original.   The oil crisis and the fact that the existing Pantera was
selling slowly anyway, conspired to kill the idea.   I have heard that two, or
three prototypes were built.   Although usually these prototypes are not legal
for sale, at least one of them snuck out somehow and for many years was owned
by a dentist in Detroit.   He sold it a couple of years ago and it's been
making the rounds of the concours circult.

I have some Ford design studio photos of the car, which I will send to you
shortly for your continued edification. :>)