[DeTomaso] EFI for 351 clevland

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 19:16:19 EDT 2008

With regard to the EFI drawbacks, I have the following comments in
general about the IR EFI systems....

As a preface, I'll admit I'm biased. I put my first system on my
Pantera back in 2000 and have helped people by email and phone since
then with their systems.

I have a Haltech F9A fuel only IR system on my Pantera and an
Electromotive TEC3r IR on my GT40.
I installed both myself; the latter with help from Mike Trusty, since
I'd never messed with a system that had ignition control. Turns out,
it's not that difficult.... Think of it as an electronic programmable
distributor.... anyway....

The TEC3r controls ignition; the F9A does not. I have never had any
problem with the F9A. Used to drive the car to work as an everyday
driver for years. Beat it to death on the track, too. So whether an
EFI system _should_ have ignition control to me is not an issue. I
don't see that it is required. A Mallory or MSD distributor works fine
to control the ignition. No different than a carb.

When I installed the PPC sourced system, I got better low end and
midrange performance thanks to the individual runners.
The intake sound is very nice as well. And, of course, it looks cool,
too!

As a side note, when I installed the F9A system many years ago, lots
of people criticized what I had used. Hey, I got a good deal on it.
It was a well known system with many installations and experience
available.

I like it, the engine runs better, it looks really cool, it starts
instantly every day, no need for warm up, it runs better, better
throttle response, etc. etc.  So honestly, I don't care if it is the
latest and greatest... It works very well for me.
My old adage of 'see you on the track' still stands.

Electric fuel pumps that can deliver the necessary volume and pressure
are readily available. After all, every Mustang on the planet these
days seems to be tweaked with aftermarket stuff and they are almost
all EFI if they are later year cars. The fuel pump I have on the
Pantera and the GT40 is a Bosch that is typically used on modified
Mustangs which need more fuel. Reasonably priced, reliable and readily
available.

A return system for fuel is a an easy mod. In fact, I had a fuel
return on my Pantera when I used a carburetor....
After all, it's a hose.... and a fitting.

Programming can be an issue. It took me awhile to get my head around
what was needed and how it worked after messing with carburetors since
my teens, but it just takes a little time and some thinking. After
all, I helped Roger Sharp 'program' his Haltech over the phone. He
told me at Las Vegas last summer he hasn't touched the settings since
then. Man, that was back in 2000? I don't see the need to tweak
anything unless, as you say, you change something dramatic on the
engine.
Camshaft, headers.... that kind of thing would make a difference, but
it wouldn't take much to compensate for them, either.

Both the F9A and the TEC3r compensate for engine coolant temperature,
intake air temperature, barometric pressure (depending on how you hook
up the F9A), manifold pressure, etc. etc. and don't require any
adjustment for temperature or elevation. They automatically compensate.

Yes, there are more sensors and wiring. Every car these days has tons
of sensors!

Both systems allow for tuning in real time. Hell, I 'tuned' my Pantera
driving to work and back with a laptop on the passenger seat.
I kept getting nagged about how I should take it to a dyno and REALLY
tune it.... so eventually, I did.
We couldn't find anymore horsepower or torque once I was on the dyno.
Seat of the pants works fine for me!
But I agree that it's faster and easier on the dyno.

Yes, the IR systems are more costly. There are certainly other
options, but I have no experience with them.

I'm no expert, but based on my experience with the two systems I have,
I can't see that they are that difficult to install or tune.
Installing the TEC3r on my GT40 was quite a challenge, because there's
just not enough room to put 'extra' things on that car.

We're almost finished installing an equivalent TEC3r system on Don
Franck's Pantera. The Pantera, in general, has MUCH more room to work
and has more places to install various components than the smaller
car... Definitely an easier task.

In fact, we were about ready to start Don's car yesterday, but we had
a 'gotchca' with the ECU. It seems to be faulty and is going back to
Electromotive. -60C air temp, 70C coolant temp with a cold engine and
a throttle position that would not change didn't help much.
When we took my GT40 ECU out and put it in Don's car, everything
worked correctly.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject. I will admit that the GT40
EFI had me puzzled for months when I couldn't get it to work quite
right. Turned out to be a bad wiring harness, but THAT is an extremely
rare occurrence. It's working fine now after I re-wired a new harness
(that Electromotive supplied free of charge) into the car.

Oh, both the Pantera and the GT40 use TWM throttle bodies. The Pantera
uses a Weber style intake; the GT40 uses a custom IR intake made by
Kelly Coffield. Same one as the Dawg is running on his Pantera. MD has
serial #1, I have serial #2.
My engine is a 9.5" block and I couldn't find a manifold to fit until
I was put in touch with Kelly.

The GT40 has a really nice center pull linkage system with a
progressive pull pulley, the Pantera has a side pull mechanism. Both
work fine, but the latest on the GT40 is much easier to adjust and has
a more progressive response.

I'll be glad to try and answer any other questions. If I can't, Mike
Trusty can. (sorry, Mike... I volunteered your services....)

I know nothing about Webers. However, I talked to William King years
ago after he put Webers on his car.
He claimed that all he did was buy the system, sit down, read about
Webers, how they worked and how to tune and then he started tuning. No
drama. His car ran great. As they say, your mileage may vary....
literally.

biased....

Oh... and finding a good air filter system for either system that you
like and is reasonably priced can be a challenge....
However, Mike's friend Jack makes a VERY reasonably priced setup, if
you're interested. Don is putting it on his Pantera.

FWIW,
Kirby