[DeTomaso] EFI for 351 clevland

rimov at charter.net rimov at charter.net
Sun Sep 28 17:30:12 EDT 2008

If you are looking for better drivality, quicker throttle responce, great start up and the ability to drive away with out having to wait till the engine is warmed up and untmost engine control  then EFI is great. However if you are looking for, well, for stunning wicked looks nothing looks better than set of webbers pearched on top of an engine. An IR EFI are very nice looking as well but are much more involved and costly.

EFI is not with out its drawbacks. For total engine management the system should have the capability to control spark as well as fuel management There are significantly more sensors, actuators and wiring involved as well as having to run an electric fuel pump capable of delivering  no less than 255 plus litres of fuel an hour at 40 to 45 pounds of pressure with a return system for excess fuel. Also programing is tedius and can be very frustraiting. Most aftermarket systems use speed density that require tuning from time to time especially when any changes are made to the engine, when tempatures change or when you go somewhere at different elevations. Understanding map stategies can be somewhat overwhelming for some and readily understood by others. I have never tuned or worked on a car with Webbers but I have read many of discussions on the difficulty and drivablitiy challenges associated with Webbers

As an aside Holley has a TBI set up that runs around $1700 that looks like a chinc to install on a Cleveland. I have read through the installation guides and programing guides and although it may not offer the looks and the performace of a multiport or IR Webber based EFI it offers a lot of bang for the buck and will work with just about any single plain manifold and TFI from a Ford 460 and allows the user to program the ECU from a lap top in real time. Also F.A.S.T has an EFI that would be easy enough to adapt to a Cleveland but would require some work adapting a suitble intake manifold to work with the multiport set up.

Trying to dodge the $6-7K for an EFI set up I have been playing with a Ford  5.0 with EFI/Mass  in my Car for the past year. Unfortunately, I didn't dodge the cost by much and although I have it dialed in pretty good it is not the Cleveland.

Cheers

Paul