[DeTomaso] Harmonic Balancer

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 13 22:33:57 EDT 2008

Mike:

For what it's worth, I just received my new ATI SuperPro dampener from (you guessed it) ATI. This unit is made in Baltimore, MD, and is one of the nicest pieces of machine work I have ever seen. It has a life time guarantee, and they provide you with the correct inspection schedule and technique. Mine is SFI approved, and is also designed to be my 8 groove serpentine pulley.

I called ATI and talked to their techies, I told them the engine, the cams, the RPM range, the engine use, the crankshaft type, and a few other facts and features. The guy was silent for about 30 seconds, and then he came back with a "You need the 985661 model, it will do what you need... flawlessly". Then when I got the unit, I can understand his confidence in the part.

On another note, I searched the Internet for this dampener, found the best price, then I called Summit Racing, and bought it from them. My reason for buying from Summit is they have a $10 shipping to most anywhere, for anything. They're also located in Reno NV, which is about 90 miles from my home. When I order from them, I get overnight delivery for UPS Ground rates, no tax, and my shipping is always $10, or less.

Summit also will beat any Internet price by one dollar. As I said, I found the best ATI price, called Summit, and they sold it to me for a buck under "the other guys". And "the other guys" charged for their shipping, and other "miscellaneous handling fees".

On my engine, the dampener is located within 1.6 inches of the oil pump. And vibration is the enemy of my oil pump. That was the added reason for going to a premium unit. Even if that $430 cost did kinda make me grit my teeth.... in pain....

..... the other piece of information that settled me on the good dampener, is that my oil pump was $270, and since it's longevity is "connected" to the dampeners performance, you can see why I went for a good one.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"